Saturday, April 27, 2013

Dewey's Read-A-Thon Hours 1-4

And we're off! I have my books on the table, a few snacks to energize me and I'm ready to read.

Introductory Questionnaire:
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Vancouver, BC, Canada

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
Lionheart by Sharon Kay Penman, even though I'm not a big Richard I fan.

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
Breaking the diet! Sour cream and onion potato chips.

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
This is my fourth read-a-thon. I'm an arts administrator and marketing contractor, a player of field hockey, golf, and trumpet, and I love to read.

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
I'll be able to put a little more time to the read-a-thon this time round - I hope to read for at least 20 hours. I do have to go to the Whitecaps game this afternoon, so this year I'll also try listening to an audiobook while I'm out of the house.

Hour 3 Mini-Challenge: Book Appetit!
I'm reading Wine for Dummies at some point, so I'm imagining a tasting menu based on wines in my "cellar" and books in today's queue:

Reception:
Majella Sparkling Shiraz - a selection of fruit - pears, apples, cherries - that might have been available during the time of Lionheart (Sharon Kay Penman)

Appetizers:
Gray Monk Gewurztraminer - a good Okanagan wine, also home to some of BC's best golf courses (What's a Golfer To Do? Golf Digest and Ron Kaspriske). Nachos shared with my virtual foursome.

Main Course:
Ravenswood Zinfandel - roast pork (or better yet, boar) in honour of The Magnificent Century by Thomas Costain

Dessert:
Graham's Late Bottled Vintage Port - chocolate of course, since I'm reading Friends, Lovers, Chocolate by Alexander McCall Smith

Hour 4 Mini-Challenge: Re-Title Your Current Read
I just finished The Magnificent Century by Thomas Costain (311 pages - 74 already read - 237). Given the subject, I'd retitle it A Parcel of Rogues, Warriors and Visionaries.

Next up is Wine for Dummies...

2 comments:

  1. Another reader in Canada! If I'm not mistaking that makes 2 from BC so far that I've visited. Good idea with the audiobook :). Enjoy your day!
    A Girl that Likes Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for Canada! Have a great reading day and thanks for the cheerleading!

      Delete